I decided to make a wall hanging for my mother in law for her 80th bday. I wanted to do a nature themed quilt. Then wanted it to have a Nebraska theme. I was going to do a coneflower pattern. Even bought fabric for a pattern I have. But I wasnt inspired.
Then I decided to do chimney rock.
It was fun picking out the fabrics.
Like picking out paints.
My $10 retro projector.
Thx LFG!
Projected the photo onto the muslin
Traced the pic for reference of perspective, size and placement.
Then started on the clouds.
I had this great hand dyed fabric from a show i went to last summer. Then added gray batik for the clouds.
Then started building clouds.
You see them all the time but do you really SEE them?
I want a typical stormy cloud scene that looks windy and potential for hail.
Then we went to CO to see Ryan and celebrate Christmas and birthday.
It was foggy going out.
The frosty trees were really pretty.
We spent a day at Copper.
Beautiful weather and good snow.
A view of the mountains.
Sigh
Back home and more @#*% clouds.
Really sick of them but finally got them done and able to work on the landscape.
Then I took a soap class with a friend.
It was interesting and fun!
We made peppermint scented soap.
Cant wait to try it.
Back to the quilt.
My deadline was 1/15.
It is now 1/10.
And I work all week.
Aaauugggghhh!
Got it ready for quilting by 1/14.
Using sulky monofiliment on top and aurofil cotton on the back.
Tried to make the sky look windy.
This is Nebraska after all.
(Should have done grass bent over from the wind)
I set up a table to support the quilt.
A bit cramped.
I had to crawl underneath it thru the "tunnel" to get in and out of my room.
Binding time, binding time!
The label.
(I have to figure out how to rotate photos)
Quilt completed on 1/17.
12 days! Whew is right!
(Ryans quilt took 4 years)
Its a king and hand quilted!
We hung it magnetically
Alan bought a metal bar, cut it to size and painted it with metal paint. Purple because that is what he had leftover from my drum carder.
He used command photo handing strips.
Each one holds 16 pounds.
Super magnets from home depot.
Very brittle.
We had 6.
Then Alan was messing with them.
Now we have 5.
Making sure its level.
I love the colors on that wall.
Mom is happy with her gift.
I told her it has to come down for the quilt shows and fairs.
Hence the magnets..... hee hee.


























wow, incredible work. lots work for sure....
ReplyDeleteThx Bonnie. No more work than the beautiful things you whip out with your needles!
DeleteOh, my! That's so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you Cindy!
ReplyDelete