Sunday, February 7, 2016

Peg Pennell thread painting class

I am inspired by artists who use fabric and thread as a medium to create quilts that look like paintings. So when I saw Peg Pennell was offering a class on thread painting, I couldn't resist. Here is the example she had for the class.
I didn't realize it was so large!  It has both beads and heat set crystals.





I was unable to find any floral fabric that inspired me.  Then I came across some Dr. Seuss fabric and BING!
The creative juices started flowing.   My project would include truffula trees.





Now to see if I can do the free motion quilting and not screw it up.
I decided to glue it all down and not use pins. I always end up sticking myself with pins.  Having to switch out the different colors of thread is a pain in the butt but I look forward to seeing the final product.
There are 14 total in the class and it is fun to see all the different directions each person has taken this project. Lots of fun, creative ideas.
Tomorrow we go back for one more day of great company, fun conversation, creative inspiration and quilting!

                                                               --------------

I went to the second and final class. Took most of the day to sew down all or most of the pieces. Ugh!  All the color changes.  I did get to start the fabric painting.  I am technically challenged when it comes to making straight lines that curve to the left. Ha ha!
The orange truffula tree turned out pretty much as I wanted it to look.
Have to go over the yellow one. Don't like it. Not enough comtrast.
Peg also went over how she does beading. I think I will like doing that in some of the flowers.
There is still plenty of opportunity for me to screw this up.  Lots more free motion sewing to do in too many colors.
The background will be challenging for me.  
I'm not a confident stippler.
This is only my second free motion project so I know I shouldn't be too critical on myself. (It's hard not to)


Here are some of the other projects. 
So many clever ideas. 
It is fun to see where everyone takes the same assignment to.  
Many fun and different directions. 
The challenge was to get them all done by the June quilt show. 
(Maaaaaybe I can meet this goal.  Have to get Ryans quilt done!)










No comments:

Post a Comment