Friday, February 19, 2016

Projects, projects, projects

Our knitting group has a monthly get together. We usually meet at one of the member's houses.  February is always at Bonnie's and we celebrate the Chinese New Year. (She is from China)  It's a little late this year but that's OK. It's always a good time and the food Bonnie makes is wonderful.  Sigh, I'm gluten and soy free.  I may have to bend the rules a little tonight. I'm also sugar, dairy and starch free and low carb. I won't be eating any of the strawberry trifle I'm bringing.

I am bringing little gifts for the group so if you are in the group, stop reading!









I found this idea online.
I thought it was purty darn cute. Easy too.



My MIL agreed to help with my son's quilt and embroider the bear prints.
She does beautiful work and I think was excited to help with her grandson's "award winning" quilt.  I'm thankful for her help because if it was just me, it would take MUCH longer.



I'm also working on the first block of the Just Takes Two Benjamin Biggs quilt. It was a free block of the month from Sentimental Stitches & Dear Jane.
Here is the original....

I'm not crazy about all the rosebuds in the corners.
I liked this version better...


My inspiration for my colors came from this stunning quilt...


So, here I go....trying to get just one block done. I modified it a bit. As you can see, I incorporated the rosebuds into the main block design. Now I just have to figure out exactly how I want the stems to lie. As they are? Interlocked? Hmmmmm.....
(The white is my freezer paper pattern lying on the back side of my rust colored fabric.)


I am also excited to learn about the cool purple colors you can get when dying with black beans. I just finished shelling my beans. Can't wait to try this out. Hopefully in the spring.


Last Monday I went to a quilt guild meeting with a friend and the speaker was Karen Kay Buckley. She was very entertaining. Her slide show included a few pics of her fabric stash. Here is one of several walls.....


She said it is not hoarding if you are organized. I laughed about that. I keep my fabric in tubs. We sometimes get mice from the nearby fields in our basement and that unfortunately is where my studio is. (We live on an acreage so there are lots of mice)
I don't want to have a heart attack by discovering a nest of mice in my fabric.

One of the quilts she brought was a beautiful medallion design that has wonderful transition in color values. Inspiring.



I also have to come up with a plan for another wall hanging. This one is for my father in law. He likes cars. Chevy's.  I hear he really wants a 1937 pickup truck.  We certainly can't buy him one so I thought a two dimensional one made out of fabric would be OK. (It has to be red)  I bought some fabric and have been looking at pics.
I think it will be fun to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment