Sunday, February 25, 2018

Backpacking food day


I found that making my own backpacking meals gives me control over what is in my food.  The pre-packaged stuff has a lot of chemicals in it which really upset my stomach.  So I make my own.  I dehydrate veggies and chicken.  I buy freeze dried beef.  This day I made up 20 days of food.  I will need to make more for my CO trip but this is a start.

I thought I'd try this one more time.
Making toothpaste dots.  I am using the toothpaste the example showed.
It is much thicker than Colgate.

All squirted out and will just leave to air dry.

Like cake decorating there is always the chance of a blowout.

On to making up meals.
Chopping up more cauliflower.
People recommend using the food processor.
I find that leaves big chunks so chopping it by hand after steaming it works just fine.

Ready for the dehydrator.

Freeze dried beef.
Can't make that.
Well unless you count the old, yucky beef I find buried in the freezer that is all dried out.

Mmmmmmm......looks like wood chips.
Tasty.

From the right going clockwise, lots of beef stroganoff, curried chicken with cashews and peas and chicken with mushrooms and peas.  My three favorite meals.  I used dehydrated cauliflower instead of couscous.

The ingredients I bought online.
Thank you Amazon.

You have to add these to keep the oxygen out.
At least that's what everyone says so, ok, I added them.

Sealing but not vacuum sealing. 
Vacuum sealing makes them too hard. 
Then it's like packing rocks in your food bag.
Soft bags pack much better.

Cut down to remove weight and labeled to show whats in it and how much water to add.


Powdered eggs with dried spinach.
Add boiling water, mix and boil in water and you have REALLY good eggs!

I thought I'd try these.
Found out they have WAAAAYYY too much fiber.
Intestinal agony!
Nope.  Not taking this on any trips.

My attempt at keto bread.

Turned out pretty good!


My attempt at keto tortillas.

Turned out pretty bad!!



Thought I'd try this dried milk.
It is absolutely awful.

And we are getting more snow.
This was taken at work.

Dehydrating 6 tubs of mushrooms.

The billions of squares are done. 
Now I have to cut out an equal amount of black diamonds.
Tedious.
Boring.

Success!
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure they will be fine.

And we are getting sleet and snow again.

Mushrooms dried and ready to go.

Toothpaste chips mixed with a little baking soda to keep them separated.
Should last all summer.

Done!  Whew.  That was not fun.

Now ready for the fun part.
Sewing the blocks with the fabric I have gathered over the months.
My example is taped to my sewing machine.
256 little blocks...... my room will look like this for a long while.
And with that I am all caught up on posting my pics.

I will be retiring from LFG on 3/9/18.
Scary and exciting all at once.  It's a new feeling I haven't felt before.
Looking forward to the adventures I have planned and to the day when Alan retires which is 10/26/18.
(Ugh, it will almost be winter again!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment