Sunday, July 15, 2018

Up and over into wildflower land

The next morning I got up early so I could get over the peak before the rain/thunder and lightning began.

Just before I left treeline I saw these flowers.  So pretty.  I noticed the plants where I stepped were crushed so apparently someone has the same photo.

Above treeline and so many wildflowers!  I love the openness of the area above treeline.

This lady is the lady who cleans Janet's Cabin.  A cabin run by the NFS and rented out.  She must be hard if hearing since she didnt respond to my "good morning".
She had some trouble hiking up the hill.  I wonder how much longer she can do this.  She was older.  She did say the cabin is spotless!

This guy stopped to talk and then went on ahead of me. (As most people do)  He had an umbrella like me.  So easy to spot the shining silver dome.

Looking down below me.  Janet's cabin is down in the trees.

Up an over the top and then I ran I to this CDT hiker.  Headed to Canada.  His name is "Mr. Clean".  He is bald but earned the name back when he used to work at a waste processing plant and was bald then too.  This is his nice pic.

This is his axe murderer pic.
I asked if I could take hi pic to prove I am not alone and meeting lots of people who are not axe murderers.  Funny guy.  I wish him well on his trip.

The wildflowers are getting out of control.  So beautiful.  Had to kneel again.  Ugh.  Hard to get up with my pack on. 

Love Indian Paintbrush flowers.
Red, white, pink, raspberry, yellow.
So many colors for one flower.

Another CDT hiker and her dog.
Such a little dog!
She is carrying her sleep mat.

Still following Mr. Umbrella.
Can you see his silver dome?

Looking back at the valley I just hiked through and the couple I camped by catching up to me.

This is the top of the pass.
I think this is Kokomo pass.
Thre were 3 to go over today.
The stacked cairns along the way were impressive.  As tall as me!

Then the trail headed down.
I hate down.
This was loose gravel and slippery.

It leveled out and his gal was having lunch with her two dogs.  He asked me to take a pic of her.
The one dog only has 3 legs and one had a bandage on it!
Poor thing.
Four college kids passed us.  From Illinois.  Nice polite kids.

The trail then dropped down into this valley/bowl.
Long hike when you can see a long ways.

Then I could see trees and this beautiful view.

Ooooooooo!
Pretty!
I have my umbrella up to give me some shade.  Note the clouds building up.

Four elderly day hiker ladies passed me heading up the trail.  They didn't appear to have rain gear or water.  Good lord.
They asked me if I was hiking ith Mr. Umbrella.  No.
Was I hiking with the 4 college kids?  No.
They couldn't believe I was hiking alone.  They then said I inspired them and wished me well.

The valley became a profuse display of flowers.  

Amazing.

Then after taking a short break by a stream I headed into the trees.

It wasn't long until I ran into Len.
He started late and said h hiked slow.  That's ok.

We continued heading down.
The trail goes down for miles.
We came upon this campsite.  Len said it was the only site and we should camp here.  It was late and I didnt want to hike many more miles downhill.  The site was down an embankment which was a little challenging for me.

Spiderman giving his approval of the site.

We had a good laugh about this bag hanging so low and close to his tent.  I asked if this is his food bag and is that where he planned to hang it.  😆😆

My messy tent.
Everything just thrown into it.

We had to hike further downhill to get water.  A big rushing noisy stream.

This is where I got my water.
Easy access.
Like a faucet.

Len did hang his bear bag away from camp.  His bag is an old bicycle pannier. 
Two gals camped next to us just up the hill.  The dayhiker ladies walked by.  Glad to see they were ok because it was really storming up on the pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment